jbh
Loading
Web Posts: Rays shine at All-Star Game but AL loses, 3-1

Rays shine at All-Star Game but AL loses, 3-1

By JOE HENDERSON

The Tampa Tribune
 
ANAHEIM, Calif. - David Price has been in some tough situations in his short time with the Tampa Bay Rays, but nothing quite matched up to Tuesday night.


"I felt like I just had Thanksgiving dinner and was trying to pitch," he said. "It was fun. I was out there sweating. I couldn't really feel anything, my hand was just drenched. My glove felt like it was going to fall off."

Price, in his first full year in the majors, hid his nerves well, though, turning in two scoreless innings as the starter for the American League in the 81st All-Star Game at Angel Stadium. Price led a quartet of Rays into the game and, for the first time in franchise history, three of them started.

Evan Longoria doubled in his first at-bat and later walked and scored the AL's only run in the NL's 3-1 victory. Longoria also started a double play. Carl Crawford was 0-for-2 but reached on a walk and stole a base. Closer Rafael Soriano pitched a hitless eighth inning.

Price threw 23 pitches, 16 for strikes, and allowed one hit while striking out one. He faced the minimum six batters, and his fastball was clocked in the high 90s throughout the outing, even hitting triple digits at one point.

"They say the gun was 2 mph off," Crawford said, meaning the radar gun was 2 mph slower than Price was throwing. "He was really pumping it."

Price, who doesn't know of a previous time in which he threw 100 mph, said there was an immense sense of relief when he recorded his final out.

"I felt like that's when the weight went off my chest," he said, visibly relaxed while standing in a corridor outside the AL clubhouse. "That's when I felt like I could be me again. That was good. It was tough being out there. It's a different type of baseball. There's only one type of stage higher and that's the postseason."

Price is no stranger to high-profile situations. As a rookie, he was called upon in relief to close out Game 7 of the 2008 American League Championship Series against Boston. He later pitched in the World Series.

This was different, though.

"To be honest, I felt I was more nervous now," he said. "I had longer to think about it. I didn't even know I was coming into the game in '08. I knew I was starting here and had to go out there and set the tone."

David Wright's one-out single in the second was the only hit off Price. Wright was quickly erased on a double-play grounder by Milwaukee's Ryan Braun.

"I had some good defensive plays," Price said.

Said Crawford: "It's always fun to be at the All-Star Game. I just enjoyed the moment. We didn't win but it was still a good time."

Atlanta's Brian McCann hit a three-run double in the seventh inning to rally the NL to its first All-Star Game victory since 1996.

The game started a couple of minutes late after an elaborate pregame ceremony that included a tribute to New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, who died Tuesday in Tampa. Waiting to get to the mound wasn't easy for Price.

"(The nerves) started when I was playing catch before the game. They were definitely there," he said. "My stomach was in a knot. My legs were wobbling. It was definitely nerve-wracking."

Now he can relax until Sunday, when he pitches in New York against the Yankees. A little time to decompress will be good.

"This is an experience. It feels like the World Series packed into two days," he said.

Was it everything he expected?

Price nodded.

"And more," he said


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post Archive