jbh
Loading
Web Posts: 10 Things Parents Should Know About Iron Man 2

10 Things Parents Should Know About Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 Trailer 2 - 00189Image by Daniel Semper via Flickr
By Doug Cornelius

May 8, 2010
9:00 am

Tony Stark is back in the first popcorn blockbuster of the summer movie season. Stark is still living his double life as a billionaire inventor and the man inside the Iron Man suit. It’s six months after the first movie and now the world knows that he is Iron Man.


How PG-13 is it?

The MPAA says it has “sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence, and some language.” It’s a superhero movie, so you expect a lot of violence. There is blood, but no gore. The fight scenes are intense. You also have to add in a few obscenities and some skimpy clothing. (Scarlett Johansson in leather among them.) You definitely want to leave the little kids at home.

Will my kids like it?

I left my six-year old at home. He was clearly too young. My buddies brought along 9, 12 and 13 year old boys. They all had big grins on their faces after the lights came up. The boys loved the first Iron Man and thought this sequel was great.

I heard complaints from another GeekDad that kids thought it was very loud. He saw some kids with fingers in their ears. I didn’t see that in my showing. The movie is not as loud as a Bruckheimer movie.

Will I like it?

If you liked the first Iron Man, you will surely like this. It’s more of the same. Maybe a little better. It’s probably what you expect, as long as you don’t expect it to be as good as The Dark Knight.

I think Robert Downey Jr. is great in the role of Tony Stark. That was the big surprise the first time around.

Like the first movie, the story has its weaknesses. We stood around griping about some of the obvious flaws. It’s a summer popcorn movie, not a documentary.

How are the special effects?

It’s obvious that no expense was spared. The Iron Man suit and Mickey Rourke’s Whiplash suit all look great. The battle scenes come across great, a little intense, but not too scary for the kids.

Is there a good time for a bathroom break?

The movie runs a bladder-busting 124 minutes. With the numerous trailers before the movie and the need to stay through the credits, you may want to avoid chugging that Cherry Slurpee. Otherwise, make a run for it when Tony loads his father’s model into his convertible.

Any good trailers?

The summer movie season is coming up and there was a bevy of good previews:

The Last Airbender - M. Night Shyamalan can’t do any worse than The Happening

Shrek The Final Chapter - More of the same from the big green guy

Super 8 - a mysterious new project written/directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Steven Spielberg

Grown Ups - Adam Sandler and his boys

Robin Hood - Gladiator in Sherwood Forest (Not that it’s a bad thing.)

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Bruckheimer-ish adaptation of the video game franchise

Killers - a token chick flick

Inception - DiCaprio in a mind-bending film from Christopher Nolan

(Anyone know what Super 8 is all about?)

Anything after the credits?

Yes! You may have noticed a brief appearance by Agent Coulson in the movie before he leaves unexpectedly for New Mexico. In the ending clip he finds something that gives us a hint at another upcoming Marvel movie.

Do I need to see the first movie?

Who didn’t see the first movie? If you didn’t see it, the beginning of Iron Man 2 will get you up to speed in the first few minutes. Plus it’s not that complicated: Tony Stark is Iron Man, fighting bad guys in a fancy mechanical suit.

How about replacing Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle?

Cheadle has a slightly bigger role than Howard did in the first movie. Cheadle comes across a bit flatter and more humorless. I think that was expected in the role as a counterbalance to Tony Stark. I’m not sure how to explain a change in actors to the kids.

What about S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers?

There is much more involvement by S.H.I.E.L.D. than the first movie. Samuel L. Jackson is back as Nick Fury. I assume you didn’t miss his brief appearance after the credits of the first Iron Man.

In case you have not heard, Marvel is releasing Captain America and Thor next summer. The Avengers movie is tentatively scheduled for a May 2012 release, to be directed by Joss Whedon.

Images are courtesy of Paramount Pictures.

Samuel L. Jackson plays Nick Fury, director of S.H.E.I.L.D., in “Iron Man 2.” Photo credit: Francois Duhamel © 2010 MVLFFLLC. TM & © 2010 Marvel. All Rights Reserved.













1 comment:

Jason | Hawthorne said...

I went to go check out this movie last night. This movie has been out for over an week. It has made over 130 million dollars. I'm thinking about going to acting school. I went to the Rave movie theatre on Bayou in Pensacola, FL 30 minutes early and had a hard time finding a seet. This is the first time that I had to sit on the first rows. My neck is still sore from holding my head up and looking from left to right accross the screen. This girl next to me had her feet in her boyfriends lap and here toes were in my face. Im like if I was Eddie Murphy in Boomerang you would be in trouble..but I'm a nice guy. This dude behind me was talking like he was the only one in the movie theatre. I'm like, why am I listening to your conversation. I see why celeberties buy out clubs and stuff and have home theatres. But, overall Iron Man 2 was a great movie. The villan in 2 was 100 times better than the one in the firt one. So go check it out and buy the Iron Man 2 AC/DC Soundtrack on the Iron Man Article.

Post Archive