jbh
Loading
Web Posts: Bowden relieved about decision

Bowden relieved about decision

Bobby Bowden, head coach of Florida State Univ...Image via Wikipedia


By Gene Williams, Warchant.com Publisher Dec 8, 11:33 pm EST

During his first scheduled interview with the media since last Tuesday’s announcement, head football coach Bobby Bowden declined to give details of the meetings between himself, FSU president T.K. Wetherell and director of athletics Randy Spetman that ultimately led to his retirement.
It had been widely speculated that Bowden was effectively terminated and that he really didn’t have an option to return to FSU other than possibly in a fundraising role. Regardless, the end came a little soon for the Seminoles’ longtime head coach.
“It was more disappointing than anything else,” Bowden said of his retirement. “But everything has to come to an end. It would either be now or next year. I was planning on going for another more year but it was obvious I would not go another year.”
ADVERTISEMENT

With a week to mull over his upcoming retirement, 80-year old coach said that he is relieved to know that the many burdens of being head football coach are now behind him.
“It’s a load off of your shoulders,” Bowden said. “There are several times during the year when there’s a relief that comes to you. One is after the season because it builds up… The second time it really hits you is when you are recruiting.
“Now that I know I’m not going to coach anymore all the sudden I don’t recruit, I don’t worry about the kids grades and I don’t worry them getting in trouble - I am concerned about it and I’ll do everything I can to keep it from happening but it’s not my responsibility any more.”
Florida State’s head coach for the past 34 years cited several factors that he will miss the least but the burdens associated with recruiting top his list.
“I guess it would be recruiting,” Bowden said of what he will miss the least. “I’ve always enjoyed recruiting and I will help the coaches now anyway I can. But that does take you out of your comfort zone when you are out on the road all the time. You aren’t at home, you are visiting prospects and you are getting this one, you are losing that one, this one changes his mind, and that one does this and that.”
Even though Bowden made it clear that he is done with coaching, he insists that he plans to stay active once his retirement is official. One way he says he will do that is by speaking to churches as well as business and civic groups.
“Coaching is out but I don’t want to sit there and do nothing. That’s what puts you in your grave, doing nothing,” Bowden said. “I want to do something and I can’t think of anything better for me to do than to go out and what I call ‘Evangelizing’. I want to talk to people about what I believe in. My whole thing is to help young kids… I’ll also talk to business groups too. I’m in several speaking bureaus and they’ll find me speaking engagements.”
Bowden’s long coaching career, which goes back to 1954, will end in just a few short weeks. During Tuesday’s teleconference he spelled out the plans for his quick departure.
“After that bowl game I’m through,” Bowden said. “My salary stops so I’ll be packing up and getting out of that office. I told him (Fisher) I would try to have that office cleaned out by the time we get back from the bowl.”
Gene Williams is the founder and administrator of Warchant.com and writes stories and features covering all of FSU’s sports with an emphasis on football and football recruiting. For seven years, Williams hosted a weekly sports radio show in Tallahassee. He currently appears as a weekly guest on 1010 XL Sports Radio in Jacksonville and 1270 The Team in Tallahassee during football season. Williams is also a former ACC correspondent for College Football News (weekly national newspaper), and contributes to The Osceola. Story about Gene Williams & Warchant.com.
Talk about it on the Football Message Board or on the Tribal Council
Show your friends — and the nation — you know your college football. Sign up to play College Bowl Pick'em!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Hello, Jason,
I just discovered my blog, Tennessee Memories in your Blog List! Thanks so much for adding it. My father-in-law graduated from Carson Newman in 1941. I really enjoyed your link to the Carson Newman Football Picasa album of helmets. I'll have to post a photo of Dad's on my blog.
Thanks for reading Tennessee Memories.

Post Archive